Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

Daddy I Wish........

You Are Already BeautifulParry Romberg Syndrome and Me My story by Cheryl Rick Klein



It has beem 10 years since you left



Dedicated with love to MANNY RICK my dad who died May 23, 2000



My father was the first to notice that something was very wrong with my face when a small cut by my chin didn't heal. He wasted no time and took me to every medical expert to find out was was wrong



He held my hand and told me that I was still beautiful and told me to remain strong. He told me he would never give up to make me well again.
He showed me what true beauty is. You won't find it in any mirror.

My dad lost both his legs to complications having diabetes.
I told him what he told me so many years ago.
Be strong, you are a beautiful person
And he was.........


It was the day of my little sister's wedding. I went over to my parent's house
to get ready for the big event.
Suddenly, my mother, and my two sisters were gathering their gowns and were heading to the door. " Where are you going ? I asked."
We have to get to the temple early we are having our makeup done professionally. They didn't make a appointment for me.
My face said it all. My dad who was watching the situation remarked "I told you it wasn't right to not include Cheryl."
I just stood speechless as they pushed past me and headed out the door.
I ran upstairs to my old room and cried. I didn't understand why I was not included. I lost half my face to Parry romberg Syndrome and it took years of cosmetic procedures to erase the damage on the outside.
Could my own family be so shallow and actually be jealous I became too pretty???
My father called me to come downstairs.
He had tears in his eyes when he saw me. He opened his arms and hugged me tight. We cried together.
Then he said the most beautiful words to me I will never forget.
" You don't need a make-up artist you are so beautiful just the way you are."
I loved my dad more than anyone in the world.

Diabetes is also a auto-immune illness that can be devastating.

Parry Romberg Syndrome became a official rare disease in 2001.
Sadly my dad never knew I was finally diagnosed, he died just one year before.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

Wow, Cheryl, that is such a touching story. Reading it I can so feel everything you felt. What a hard day. I am glad he was there for you. And he is so right, it is the inside that counts, and you are beautiful!
Hilary

Cheryl Rick Klein said...

Dear Hilary,
Your comment meant so much to me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
You are such a compassionate soul and are not only my first cousin but a dear friend.
Your father, my dad's brother was so special to me. When he worked with my father he saw me when I returned from my monthly silicone injections .
He would always hug me and had tears in his eyes. He never said anything, I felt his love . I loved my uncle Sidney Rick so much and he had a heart of gold just like my dad and you.
I dedicate my Dear Daddy post in the memory of Sidney Rick and Manny Rick.
Two beautiful souls.

Cheryl Rick Klein said...

My cousin Hilary has a wonderful blog Feeling Beachie@blogspot.com
She and I just reunited after 30 years. Our fathers were brothers.
Hillary who is A CPA, has started to blog months ago and she has been featured on Blogher.com
She is a amazing writer.
Hilary, thanks for reaching out and sharing on this personal blog. I love you very much. Cheryl Rick Klein

Cheryl Rick Klein said...

Cheryl Rick KleinWednesday, October 20, 2010 at 2:38:00 AM EDT
My cousin Hilary has a wonderful blog Feeling Beachie@blogspot.com
She and I just reunited after 30 years. Our fathers were brothers.
Hillary who is A CPA, has started to blog months ago and she has been featured on Blogher.com
She is a amazing writer.
Hilary, thanks for reaching out and sharing on this personal blog. I love you very much. Cheryl Rick Klein

ReplyDelete