Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

NOBODY IS PERFECT

Hello,
Even though I have been blogging like crazy not only here but on FACEBOOK CAUSE, MY SPACE, TWITTER, THE SCLERODERMA fOUNDATION, FDA/OOPD-RARE DISEASE BLOG, THE ROMBERG CONNECTION, LINKEDIN and others I wonder if I am making any kind of difference.

I do not care about my google ranking, or becoming a "rock star" or people knowing my name.
I am only concerned that this still very unknown illness gets the attention it needs and to let other patients like me that I am walking in your shoes and I just know........................

Looks are everything in this society. I have been treated badly when I was disfigured and when I had cosmetic revision finished by 17, I was dating a lifeguard who introduced me to a group of friends from a popular fraternity at his college. "WOW" your girlfriend is hot, and other similar comments were said to my boyfriend Jeff.
Walking to his car a few hours later, He stopped and told me those three little words "I LOVE YOU, for the first time by a boy.
I will forget that life changing moment. He only said he loved me on that night in particular because his spoiled, popular friends "approved" of my looks.
That night over 30 years ago changed my life forever.

The summer before I worked as a lifeguard in a day camp. When I saw one of the lifeguards I would be working with I felt a tingle go down my spine. It was the first time I felt that sensation and I wanted "Bill" to notice me and ask me out.
I heard he had a really pretty girlfriend. I was shy and blushed when he spoke to me. He never asked me out and I was heart broken.
A few months ago he became reunited with my husband on Facebook because they went to the same college. My husband mentioned I think you worked with my wife about 30 years ago when she was a lifeguard.
That is when suddenly I started getting messages on Facebook from "BILL" directly to my Facebook page. I finally told him I had the biggest crush on him the summer we worked together. He answered back that is so strange "I had a crush on you too"
We should get together. I met him for a drink and was very nervous, it was against my morals being married but I had to see if I still felt a spark.
Well he still looked great and he never married. When he saw me he said "you do look exactly as your Facebook photos". Do you remember what I looked at 30 years ago? "What color hair did I have?" he didn't remember me at all. He made up the story he had a crush on me. He wanted only to see me because he liked my Facebook photos. I almost for the first time in 17 years cheated on my husband. I didn't.
Looks opened many doors for me and yes men were proud to be with me. I even was hired because of my looks especially working in the fashion field for 25 years.
I never have had any serious relationships with men based on their looks, I looked deeper and were atrracted to men who treated me with respect and loved me for being me.
I was once called a "trophy" wife from a shrink I started to see because I was having panic attacks, I just looked this so-called MD. I laughed if you only knew......... me before.

Most girls are getting cosmetic surgery to fix the damage that Parry Romberg Syndrome caused. All I can say is yes, most likely you will be find suddenly you are getting "looks" of approval instead of those"stares." Don't get carried away with the "fixed you". remain true to who you are and what lessons you have learned from the "dark side".

1 comment:

Cheryl Rick Klein said...

This was dedicated to my husband Abe Klein. He never even knew I had Perry Romberg Syndrome when he met me. When Igave birth to my first daughter my face started to show I still had PRS and my husband who knew I had PRS started to get comments from curious friends. It was about a year later I was working in a high end NYC department store as a manager when out of the blue a co-worker who didn"t like me called me "Crooked face", I was so emotionally hurt I ran out of the store while everyone watched and wondered what was wrongwith me. It was almost 20 years since somebody "hurt my soul">
I had a Vascular flap transplant after the birth of my second child, on her birthday. Today Ihave had about 4 minor revisions on my face all done by John W, Seibert, a wonderful MD who has helped so many PRS PATIENTS.
My husband has been by my side for 17 years and thinks I am the most beautiful woman in our town. Today is our 18th anniversary.
I love you Abe.