Search This Blog

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Scars make you stronger




Scars Make Youy Stronger


Searching for a great Plastic Surgeon is so hard when I had the best. No Plastic surgeon would touch my face because of the lack of experience with my facial rare disease, Parry Romberg Syndrome. Somehow Dr John Westin Seibert ,who was based Manhattan ,lost his medical license in New York. Totally unfair because Dr Seibert, who was the chief of the Plastic Surgery at NYU Plastic Surgery Teaching Hospital. Among his fellow Plastic Surgeons  he was highly praised and considered a "pioneer" in the development of new facial procedures to help people with disfigured faces regain their dignity,lead normal lives and smile when they look in the mirror. 



He invented a very radical micro surgery called a "Vascular Facial Transplant." The first long term procedure to stop and fix the damage caused my this rare ullness. I had this surgery 12 years ago and I only have to have a little touch-ups every 3 or so years. So little is actually know about PRS and Through social media and my blog based on living with a rare disease many desperate people saw Dr. Seibert many traveling thousands of miles to have the costly life changing surgery I had. This disease varies in severenes and  
The procedure helps some more than other's. So someone who wasn't happy spread vicioious news stories and eventually Dr. John Seibert relocated his practice to Wisconsin. I was devastated.

     I saw a new doctor last week to check my face since my much loved doctor who I have mentioned in many posts no longer practices surgical procedures in New York.
    This doctor who I introduced through my blog to so many readers is now practicing in Michigan.
    So how did I pick a new doctor to trust? I first researched my areas top doctor lists and called looked at their 
experience and patient comments.
     There were so many it took me hours of research and basically it was a waste 
of time. I then thought back to the Surgeon who saved my daughter's arm 
10 years ago when she was just three years old and was critically injured when her camp bus flipped over leaving her left arm completely "de-gloved" of skin her bus flipped on its side and her little arm
was dragged through the window and road for half a block.
    His was on call that day and miraculously was able to pull down all the skin on her arm and close the massive 
wound. 
     Yes she still has a large scar in the back of her arm that has faded with time
but will always be part of who she is.
 The important thing is she survived and that wonderful Plastic Surgeon gave my
daughter back the total use of her arm.
   I brought my daughter with me to see this doctor and he still remembered her first name and he told her she was his his favorite patient! I know he wished he could tell Samantha her scar can be revised by the look I saw in his eyes. However, it just isn't possible without the risk of joint and nerve damage. 
   I told him I could never thank him enough for saving her arm and my daughter hugged him. 
   She then said, "My mom and I have scars but we are stronger because we learned life is not about being perfect."
  Quite a statement about life from my
beautiful Samantha. 
 
 

No comments: