Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Desperate Parents with Children that have Parry Romberg Syndrome.

You Are Already Beautiful Parry Romberg Syndrome and Me My story by Cheryl Rick Klein

Tips for parents who have a child with PRS
  1) Stay calm!!!!! I know this is hard but you must do this for your child's sake.
  2) Find the right doctor even if you have to travel. Contact NORD and they can help.
  3) Call your insurance company and they also can direct you to doctor's who are
      listed with their network.
  4) Do not change your daily family routine. This is so important. DO NOT TREAT
      YOUR child different than your other siblings.
  5)  Join a support group for parents like you. The Romberg Connection is the best
       and it helped me and my family get through the toughest times.
  6)  Keep the matter private. Make sure you only discuss the situation with people you
       trust. There are people who may spread vicious gossip and need I say more,,,,,
  7)  Keep your child active aka sports, after school activities and socially.
  8)  Do not take family photos for a while. This was the most disturbing for me, when I
       saw my face in photo's I couldn't deal with it.
  9)  Find cosmetics that conceal some of the facial damage. Sephora has wonderful
       new products that I still use. Bare Minerals powder make-up is wonderful . It looks
       so natural and does wonders,
 10} Angel faces is another support group dedicated to helping young girls with facial
       flaws. They also offer so much hope and advice.
  11) REMEMBER..... there are many new cosmetic procedures your  child can have to
       correct their face.
  12) SSD is now available for older patients and care-givers who had  to stop working
       as a result of PRS.
  13) Support and advocate for PRS and all Rare Diseases. Many groups have monthly
       newsletters that have up to date information,
   14) Contact me.at cklein2794hotmail.com anyttime and I will personally listen to anything on your mind. I am not a professional, and will not offer medical advice.
But I can be a friend with the strictest confidence.

     I have walked and still walk in PRS patient's shoes as a child and now as a parent.
     I will be walking down this road my whole life.
     I no longer walk alone.
     

    

No comments: