Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Praying to be beautiful, Be careful what you wish for.

During those tween years, which I call Middle School Hell, every girl secretly wishes to be perfect. Even if it was just a illusion , I would secretly pick out the most beautiful girl in all my classes and obsess. There was a girl in 7th grade who never wore the same outfit twice, and I was blown away at the daily fashion show "jane" gave me three rows ahead of me. Tomake it worse her hair was perfect and never frizzed like mine did especially on rainy days. Looking back I had a flat iron. My middle school years would have been so much easier. Who were these lucky girls who looked perfect in their designer jeans and cropped tops.
For me who was suffering with Parry Romberg Syndrome and frizzy hair, watching and observing the "beautiful" ones filled me with hope that someday I could become a girl who was pretty and confident. I had one major priority, I just wanted back my face.
My parents finally found a dermotologist, Dr Norman Oreintreich, and he saw me for a consultation. He observed my face for a minute and said to my mother,he would inject me monthly with silicone shots and I would be fine in three years .he added "If I did not see potential for being pretty, I would tell you not to waste your money and take her home." I thought then what lock her in a closet? That was then I realized even before the silicone injections I was a beautiful person because I had courage, passion, dreams and compassion. What if the doctor didn't treat me???? Would my life be less important? A beautiful person is more than a perfect face.
It is ironic but looking back over 30 years ago I remember a girl who had tons of friends who was never a outcast and it was a beautiful time in my life. It would have been even better if I had a flat iron.

1 comment:

Cheryl Rick Klein said...

Posted a parry Romberg Syndrome "Cause" on Facebook. It was posted with a NORD introduction. I invited all of my Facebook friends. My condition was diagnosed when I was 36 yrars old. I finally had closure and felt I am not alone. However I already had my 2 beautiful daughters before there was genetic testing. As I grow older I do not know what this syndrome will affect me. I am among the first generation since the syndrome was labeled